Mycotoxins, a serious issue in livestock farming
Mycotoxins are secondary fungal metabolites that are toxic to humans and animals.
We can distinguish five main families of mycotoxins:
- Ochratoxin A
- Trichothecenes (including DON and T-2 and HT-2 toxins)
However, the structure of mycotoxins varies considerably and no fewer than 300 forms of different metabolites have been catalogued. Invisible, odourless and tasteless, they are particularly difficult to detect. At the present time, their prevalence is considerable, since it is believed that 25% of foodstuffs intended for humans or animals are contaminated worldwide!The toxic effects of mycotoxins on animals are manifold, with combinatory effects between different mycotoxins:
- Fumonisins have a negative impact on nervous and pulmonary functions
- Ochratoxin A damages hepatic, renal and digestive function and the immune system and is a carcinogenic factor
- Zearalenones damage the function of the endocrine system and the reproductive system
- Ancreles trichothecenes DON and T2 have a negative impact on the reproductive and digestive systems
- Aflatoxins damage the hepatic and reproductive function and the immune system and are carcinogenic factors
As mycotoxins are particularly resistant to cold, heat and granulation and are not proteic in nature, no immunisation exists in animals. To deal with this issue, the CCPA Group has developed nutritional solutions to guarantee animal performance in the event of feed contamination by mycotoxins.
Atofirst, the feed option to combat mycotoxins
Atofirst™ is a comprehensive nutritional solution that combines sodium bentonite, the antifungal preservative, Fongistab™, and a specific blend of vegetal extracts. It presents with three combined actions and guarantees production performances in the event of contamination by mycotoxins:
- Captures adsorbable mycotoxins;
- Limits fungal development;
- Protects digestive functions and sustains the immune status of animals.
Proven benefits of Atofirst™:
- Reduction in veterinary expenses and losses due to shortfalls in performance;
- Protection of the digestive tract against inflammation;
- Maintains performance in the event of the use of feed contaminated by mycotoxins.
Other solutions have also been developed. Please feel free to contact us for more details!
The CCPA Group’s phytoexpertise: